Babette Haggerty has one mission: “To Train Everyday Families to Have Once in a Lifetime Dogs.” As an experienced trainer and dog owner, she fully understands the need of owners to live a stress-free life of harmony and balance with their dog. A mother of two, Babette knows first-hand the needs of a “dog” family who may be bringing home a new baby or have children who need to be able to control the dog.
For four generations the Haggerty Family has been involved in the joy of training, breeding, raising, showing, and handling man’s best friend. In 1962, Captain Haggerty began Captain Haggerty’s School for Dogs in Bronx, New York, and had since left a legacy that forever changed the dog training profession. Shortly before his death, he had been called “The Last Real Dog Trainer in the World.” Today the school and his legacy is being carried by his only child, Babette Haggerty.
A Bergen County native, she began working in the family’s upstate New York kennel as a young child. She continues her family’s tradition by offering private in-home lessons, puppy training, dog obedience classes, problem solving, house training and dog trick training throughout Midland Park and Bergen County, New Jersey and the greater New York City area.
On occasion she does travel to visit her Palm Beach clients where she owned the most respected dog training school from 1989-2007.
Babette is the author of three books, including the best-selling book, The Best Dog Tricks On The Planet: 106 Amazing Things Your Dog Can Do on Command (October 22, 2013).
Also authored by Babette are The Complete Visual Guide to Good Dog Training: The Balanced Way to A Well Behaved Pet (October 19, 2012) and Woman’s Best Friend: Choosing and Training the Dog That’s Right for You (September 5, 2003). This book sold out of its first printing in six weeks!
Babette attends at least 60 hours of canine seminars each year and was elected as a member of the Board of Directors of the elite International Association of Canine Professionals. Her credibility as an experienced and effective dog expert is bolstered by media coverage in The Chicago Tribune, The Seattle Times, Los Angeles Times, and many other national and regional publications and radio stations. In addition, Babette has written articles for various national and local publications, including DOGS USA and Off-Lead magazines.
“I want to give families the dog that all of their dogs past and future are measured against.”
Babette has trained many dogs for “showbiz” jobs, here is some of her experience working with pups who appeared on TV shows, movies, commercials and other projects.
- Trained dogs that have appeared on The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and 30 Rock
- Trained dogs for commercials and print ads for companies such as MasterCard and Bounty
- Babette had her first theatrical dog training job for a Black and Decker commercial featuring former Dallas Cowboy Bob Lilly in 1979
- Her own students have appeared in movies with Colin Farrell, Robert DeNiro and Christopher Walken
- Taught Jimmy Buffet’s Maltese to dance when asked, “What do we do in Margaritaville?”
- Trained Jack Nicklaus’ Golden Retriever to bark the correct number of major wins when asked, “How many times has Daddy won the Masters?”
- Babette has appeared on The Today Show when she trained Natalie Morales dog to do a series of tricks
- She was a handler for the periodic drug search on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange
- Supplied and handled dogs for The Guiding Light and All My Children
- Assisted in the training of the first Australian Shepherd used for Guide Dog work
- Babette has presented seminars to AKC judges on the German Shepherd and Belgian breeds.
Babette Haggerty will help your dog be the best it can be and allow you and your family to live and work more harmoniously with your pup! Contact Haggerty Dog Training at 201-444-9893 or send us a message on the contact page.